Contact Academic Affairs
Location: Notar Admin Bldg.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 5:00pm
College Board - CLEP Exams - College Level Examination Program
Niagara County Community College recognizes that learning takes place in all phases of life, not just in a classroom. CLEP exams offer college credit for knowledge you have acquired through independent study, prior course work, professional development, on-the-job training, cultural pursuits or in some other manner. Consult the NCCC catalog for a list of subject areas and scores required to earn credit: NCCC Catalog-CLEP
The tests are based upon typical courses offered at most colleges. It is important that students consult their home schools/advisors to verify CLEP credits earned are acceptable as course equivalents.
CLEP exams are computer-based, approximately 90 minutes in length and primarily include multiple-choice questions. Some exams, like College Composition, include an essay section. Language exams include listening sections. Students can sit for two exams in a day, each requiring CLEP/ administration fees.
How to Schedule a CLEP exam
- Call NCCC at 716-614-6863 for a recording of the test dates and times.
- Schedule a test date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include date/time you would like to sit for the exam and your phone number. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Create a personal account through the “My Account” registration portal at http://clep.collegeboard.org. Use this account to select the exam(s) you intend to take and pay the $85.00 CLEP exam fee.
On exam day, bring the following to NCCC Testing Center B-102:
- A valid registration ticket from the “My Account” registration portal. Registering for an exam provides you with a payment receipt and a CLEP Registration Ticket; you also must contact a test center to schedule the date and time you wish to take the test.
- A money order or check for $25.00 (U.S. funds), made payable to Niagara County Community College (NCCC), for the non-refundable administration fee. You must have proper payment in order to take the exam.
- Identification: your driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. Your first and last name on your ID must match the name on your registration ticket. Please visit the CLEP website for complete identification requirements.
Directions to NCCC Sanborn Campus:
Testing Center B-102: http://www.niagaracc.suny.edu/pdf/internal-campus-map.pdf
CLEP exams are free for eligible military personnel through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). For more information on CLEP for military personnel - go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/military-benefits
Preparing for a CLEP exam
Most students find that test preparation is necessary and helpful. For study information, visit www.collegeboard.com/clep. For each exam, there is an outline of the knowledge and skill covered in the test, sample questions, and a list of textbooks/resources for study materials. You can also take a practice exam: https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/practice