Passports, Visas, and Other Information

Your passport is your official travel document that serves as a formal permit to travel in a foreign country, allows for returning into your home country, and assists as a form of proof of identification. Each student must obtain a passport and an F-1 student visa from their home government under whatever regulations that government establishes for traveling out of the country.

If you do not yet have a valid U.S. F-1 student visa, you must apply at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate with jurisdiction over your home country of permanent residence. Since this process can take a long time, you should begin the application process as far in advance as possible. Holidays (e.g., Christmas and New Year's) and the summer often create long delays.

Information about Visa Wait Times, U.S. Department of State

To apply for a U.S. F-1 student visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate, you must present:

  • A valid passport
  • A completed application form (available for free from all U.S. Consulate offices or at
  • The required fee (US$200)—Form I-901 and a proof-of-payment receipt (for more information, see below)
  • One photograph (1.5 inches square or 37 by 37 mm) showing your full face
  • A Certificate of Eligibility—the I-20 form sent from NCCC after your application paperwork is completed
  • Evidence of proficiency in English
  • Evidence of adequate financial resources ($19,000 minimum U.S. equivalent)
  • Evidence of ties to your home country

United States Embassies and Consulates Worldwide

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires personal interviews for most U.S. visa applications. Please remember:

  • To expect your interview to be conducted in English
  • Not to bring friends or family to the interview; you must speak on your own, be familiar with your academic program at NCCC, and answer why you wish to study in the United States
  • To make a good impression in a short time; consulates are very busy places
  • To answer questions about your "ties to your homeland" and about your plans to return
  • To verify that you have enough financial resources to support yourself (minimum $19,000 U.S. equivalent per year)

International students must pay a $200 SEVIS fee (Form I-901) before applying for a visa. You can pay the fee online to the Department of Homeland Security. Consulates will not issue your visa if you do not produce a receipt showing that the fee has been paid.

Please refer to the information provided in these links:

U.S. Customs and Immigration
NAFSA: Association of International Educators