Recreation Studies, A.S.
The program has a balanced approach of classroom and in the field experience creating a dynamic experiential learning environment. Our program also offers top notch internship opportunities with some of the biggest and best organizations in NY State. Recreation Studies students can also receive a certification as a Certified Personal Trainer through the National Council on Strength and Fitness. Our students receive a well-rounded educational experience with additional elective courses that allow our students the flexibility to design and explore opportunities specific to individual educational and professional goals.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Develop students' understanding and acquisition of knowledge, skills, and characteristics which define responsible and successful leaders in the recreation profession.
- Program provides rich experiential learning opportunities for students.
- Provide a pathway to employment upon graduation.
- Develop students' understanding and acquisition of knowledge, skills, and characteristics which define responsible and successful leaders in the field of recreation.
- Professional Affiliation/Development – Participate in Special Projects during the semester for professional development and networking.
NCCC Recreation Majors and New York State Parks Conservation Stewards, David Stillinger and TJ Clark, setting up camera traps at Buckhorn Island State Park. Photo credit: OPRHP
The Recreation profession is predicted to grow more 20% in the next 5 to 7 years making employment opportunities for the future very promising. The NCCC Recreation Studies degree is positioned to prepare students for immediate employment upon graduation, and currently has outstanding track record of placement. In addition to an Associate's Degree, graduates can matriculate to a 4 year degree program to further their educational goals.