Student Development FAQ

Academic Counseling

Accessibility Services (Disability Services)

Career Planning

Curriculum Change

Dual Admissions/Transfer

Federal Work-Study

International Student Services

Placement Testing

Student Employment

Veteran Services

Withdrawal/Exit Counseling

Academic Counseling

How do I change my major?
You can call 614-6490 or go to Room A131 to schedule an appointment to see a counselor in Student Development or you can go to and follow these directions:

  • Select Banner Web
  • Enter secure area using your student ID # and PIN
  • Click Student Services and Financial Aid tab
  • Click Student Records
  • Select Curriculum Change Application
  • Complete and submit application

When is the earliest date I can register?
At 12:01 a.m. on your designated start date. This date is provided to you by the Registration & Records Office.

What if I need help registering on Banner Web from home?
If you need assistance with Banner Web, contact the Registration & Records Office at 614-6250 during their normal business hours or email them at The email will be answered during business hours.  You can also find help on the "Welcome to NCCC Banner Web" page.

What if I don’t pass my current courses?
You can change your schedule on Banner Web after you find out your current grades. If you are going to repeat a failed class and are receiving financial aid, make sure to check with the Financial Aid office before doing so.

What if a course is closed?
You can choose another course from the alternatives listed on your advisement sheet. You can also check Banner Web periodically through the first week of classes to see if the course has any openings.

What if I need to change my schedule?
You have access to add/drop courses on Banner Web through the first week of classes.  You must maintain at least 12 credits if you are planning on full-time enrollment.

When is payment due?
Payment dates are listed on the Registration & Records website and Banner Web.  You are responsible for accessing your bill via Banner Web.  You will not be mailed a bill. 

If I signed up for classes, but never attended, do I still owe a bill?
Yes.  Once you choose your classes in Banner, you reserve a seat in each class and you will be responsible to pay for the classes. You must withdraw from your classes before the semester begins to avoid a bill.

If I am doing poorly in a class, what will happen if I withdraw from (drop) it?
During the first three weeks of a term, if you drop a class, it is removed from your schedule. It will not count for credits toward financial aid. After the first three weeks of the term, a “W” grade is given. These credits are viewed as “attempted credits”. Financial aid may be reduced; check with the Financial Aid office, A117.

What is academic probation?
A student is placed on Academic Probation when he/she has too many attempted credits and too few earned credits and/or a low GPA. See the Academic Progress Chart in the College catalog. This notification is a very serious warning that future classes must be completed successfully in order to return to good academic standing and to receive financial aid.

What is the Unschedule?
The Unschedule is a series of workshops and seminars designed to help you maximize your academic experience and to round out the more formal academic offerings of NCCC by providing you with personal growth opportunities in a variety of self-help areas. Various support services areas and academic departments provide workshops to enhance opportunities for student success. The Unschedule offerings can be viewed at

Where can I go if I need personal counseling?
If you are in need of personal/emotional counseling, you can go to the Wellness Center, C122. All inquiries are kept confidential.

back to top

Accessibility Services (Disability Services)

I received Special Education Services in High School. What special education programs do you have at NCCC?
NCCC does not have special educational programs. Students with disabilities are in the same classes and have to meet the same requirements as all other students. We do provide reasonable accommodations for disabilities based upon appropriate documentation.

I had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in High School. What do I need to do to receive services at college?
You must contact Accessibility Services at 614-6285 to schedule an appointment to meet with the Accessibility Services Program Administrator, Alissa Shugats-Cummings. Please bring the documentation with you that supports your request for accommodations.  

What documentation is required?
Documentation will vary based upon your disability. Documentation needs to be current and relevant to how your disability affects your functioning within an academic setting. In most cases, if you have a learning disability, you will need to provide a copy of your IEP and psychological evaluation.

How will my professors know that I receive extended time on my tests as well as other accommodations?
When you meet with the Accessibility Services Program Administrator, your documentation will be evaluated to see what accommodations you are eligible for. Every semester, during the first week of classes, letters to your professors which explain your accommodations will be emailed to your TWolves email.  You will schedule an appointment to meet with each professor, or meet with them during their office hours, to give them a copy of the letter.  During this meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the accommodations with your professor.  

If my accommodations include use of adaptive technology, how will I know how to use these tools?
There is a wide range of adaptive technology devices available for students who are assigned these types of accommodations.  Caitlin Fulle, Adaptive Technology Specialist, is available to train students in appropriate use of adaptive software and hardware.  Students can set up an appointment with the Adaptive Technology Specialist by calling Accessibility Services at 614-6285.

Is there additional Financial Aid available for me because I have a disability?
Students with disabilities should apply for the same financial aid packages as all other students. You may also be eligible for services from ACCES-VR (formerly VESID). ACCES-VR is a nationwide Federal-State program. Their role is to help a person with a disability prepare for a suitable occupation, and education may be a part of this. Contact ACCES-VR directly at 716-848-8001 for further information.

back to top

Career Planning

How do I know if I am in the right curriculum?
Choosing the right curriculum is one of the most important decisions you will make in your college experience. Unfortunately most students have never been given any real guidance in how to go about the process. As a result many students select a major that isn’t appropriate for achieving their ultimate career goal or they may end up in a major in which they have little interest. If you think you are in the wrong major, there is a good chance that you probably are. Making a career choice is a process, it doesn’t just happen. Counselors in Student Development are available to discuss with you the components of the career planning process and the various resources available to help you with this very important decision.

How can I get assistance with career planning and career goals?
A variety of research tools are available to help students with career planning and decision making. Students can set up an appointment to meet with a counselor in Student Development (A 131) to go over various career choices.

back to top

Curriculum Change

What is a curriculum change?
A curriculum change is a procedure that officially changes your course of study. Students who want to change their curriculum must contact Student Development in A-131 (614-6490) and complete a change of curriculum application, with the exception of LPN/RN.  The application is also available on Banner Web under the Student Services and Financial Aid tab.  Click on Student Records and select Curriculum Change Application.

Are all of curriculum change requirements the same?
Each particular curriculum has it own unique entrance requirements. In order to ensure that you are taking the correct requirements for your intended curriculum, you should refer to the current NCCC college catalog and/or talk to your advisor. You can also make an appointment to speak to a counselor in Student Development (A-131).

What is the difference between the admission requirements and curriculum change requirements?
Admissions requirements and curriculum change requirements both outline pre requisite coursework for specific majors. Admissions requirements apply to new students not currently attending NCCC and curriculum change requirements apply to continuing students at the College who want to change their major.

My curriculum has several entrance requirements and I have met some of them. Can I be placed on a waitlist while I am taking classes to fulfill the rest of the requirements?
No, you must meet all of the prerequisites before submitting a curriculum change application.  

What does it mean to be on a curriculum change waitlist?
Students who have met the prerequisites for a particular program are put on a waitlist.  In order to remain on this list, students must continue to adhere to the prerequisite standards for their program of interest.  Student Development uses this list when placing students into the program as seats become available.

If I am on a waitlist, what should I be doing?
Students must be enrolled in classes for each semester (not including summer sessions) that they are on the waitlist. In order to know what you should be doing for your particular program, refer to NCCC's college catalog

If I do not stay enrolled or I do not earn the required cumulative GPA, will I be removed from the waitlist?
Yes. Waitlists are reviewed at the beginning and end of each semester to ensure that all students have continuous enrollment and continue to meet all entrance requirements for the specified curriculum.

How can I get more information about the curriculum change process?

  • Make sure that your academic advisor knows your intended plans and preferred curriculum so that s/he can keep you informed of any updates regarding the curriculum change process or your intended program.
  • Attend the UNSCHEDULE information workshop: “So You Want to Go into Allied Health”. This workshop was specifically developed for students interested in: Animal Management, Massage Therapy, Medical Assistant, Phlebotomist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiologic Technology, and Surgical Technology. Stop by Student Development (A -131) to register.
  • Make an appointment with a counselor in Student Development (A-131).

What happens if there are changes in the program requirements prior to my entry into the curriculum of your choice?
If there are any changes regarding the curriculum change process or program requirements after you have submitted a curriculum change application you will be notified by Student Development. It is important to insure that your contact information in BANNER is accurate so that college officials can contact you.

Who can I speak to if I have more questions?
Your academic advisor and Student Development department are two excellent resources to answer curriculum change questions.

back to top

Dual Admission/Transfer

What is Dual-Admission?
Dual-Admission is a special transfer program developed in conjunction with selected four-year colleges and universities. This program enables students to take advantage of some unique benefits. The Dual Admission program is available for only certain colleges and certain programs. To participate in the program, a student must be enrolled in the appropriate parallel NCCC curriculum and must meet the course and GPA guidelines of the four-year college. Additionally students must have earned less than 30 credits and NCCC must be the only college they have attended. If you would like more detailed information regarding colleges and programs included in the program go to

Are scholarships available when I transfer to a four-year college?
All the Colleges you may be considering for transfer have the same state and federal financial aid programs that we have at NCCC. Additionally they may have other scholarships specifically for transfer students. The financial aid office at the four-year college will be able to provide you with this information. Additionally there are scholarships available through organizations that are not connected to any particular school. These scholarships may be based on need, academic achievement, or a variety of other criteria depending on the awarding organization. For more information on scholarship opportunities you can contact the Student Development or Foundation Offices at NCCC.

back to top

Federal Work-Study

What is Work Study?
Federal Work Study Program is funded through Federal Financial Aid. When students complete the FAFSA, they must indicate they are interested in FWS on the FAFSA application. A student’s Financial Aid package will only include FWS funds if the student is eligible and has indicated an interest in FWS.

How do I get a Work Study job?
If you are awarded Federal Work Study funds, directions for applying for a position will be mailed to you before the semester begins.  You can find answers to all of your questions on the Federal Work Study Program page.  

What kinds of jobs are available?
There are essentially 5 types of positions for FWS. Please see the abbreviated job descriptions below:

  • Office Assistant: Filing, copying, typing, handling mail, answer phones, running errands on campus (*majority of positions on campus)
  • Monitor: Monitor patron behavior in computer lab or art gallery, assist students with basic computer operation in lab or ask patrons to sign in at Art Gallery
  • Library Shelver: Sort and shelve returned books in the Lewis Library
  • Intramural Recreation: Monitor recreation facilities, answer phones, running errands on campus
  • Student Life: Assist with campus events, copying, answer phones, running errands on campus

Does the money I get paid go toward tuition?
No.  The money you earn through FWS is directly deposited into your bank account every two weeks, just as you are paid for any job.  

back to top

International Student Services

What are my options for employment in the US?
International students can work on campus if positions are available without any authorization from USCIS. Students should make an appointment with the Program Administrator in Student Development to discuss eligibility. Likewise, students seeking off-campus employment must make an appointment with the Program Administrator to discuss off-campus options, as the process for off-campus employment is more cumbersome than the process for on-campus employment. Part of this process includes completing the I-765 and paying a fee to USCIS. Completion of the application and payment of the fee does not ensure that the student will be authorized to work. Decisions for or against authorization are at the discretion of USCIS.

Can I get a second Associates Degree?
Yes, you can get a second Associates Degree at NCCC before transferring for a baccalaureate degree or terminating your status and going back to the country of your citizenship.

How long is my I-20 valid?
The I-20 remains valid according to the program beginning and end dates on page one as long as you do the following:

  1. Register for classes as a full-time student (unless you are a Canadian commuter; then you may attend part-time)
  2. Attend classes regularly and maintain good academic standing
  3. Come to Student Development every year and have the I-20 signed by the Program Administrator. There should be no more than one year in between the date of the last signature and the date of the most recent signature.

Will I be notified if I am out of status?
Yes, the Program Administrator will notify you if you are out of status. SEVIS will also be notified, and you will then be notified by USCIS as well.

How can I get a Social Security number?
The first step to getting a Social Security number is to go to your local United States Social Security Administration office to find out what documents are necessary to verify your identity. The next step is to make an appointment with the Program Administrator to further assist you with the process.

back to top

Placement Testing

What is included in the test?

There are three sections to NCCC’s ACCUPLACER placement test:

  1.  Reading Comprehension - 20 questions related to reading skills, such as identifying the main idea and making inferences.
  2.  Writing (WritePlacer) - essay response which tests for structure, ideas, purpose, focus, critical thinking and grammar.
  3.  Mathematics (Arithmetic or Elementary Algebra) - Students will take one or two of the 12-17 question math tests depending upon math experience and score. 

What do I need to bring?

  1. Photo ID is required (i.e. driver's license, state ID, or passport)
  2. Testing fee ($14.00)
  3. Cellphones, calculators, and any other personal devices are NOT permitted in the testing area
  4. You will be provided with scrap paper and pencils for the test(s)

How long does it take?
The tests are untimed, and you will work at your own pace. Plan to be at the Testing Center for approximately 2-3 hours if you are required to take all three portions of the placement test.

What if I don’t pass?
You will have the opportunity to re-test one time. If you choose not to re-test, you will be required to take applicable non-credit foundation classes your first semester.

What is the next step after testing?
Student Development (A-131) will contact you regarding advisement and registration (STARS) once you have completed testing and submitted all required immunization information to the Wellness Center (C-122).

back to top

Student Employment

How can I find a job off-campus?
Student Development has a Job Locator on staff that is dedicated to helping students and alumni find jobs. In addition, NCCC has a Job Board featuring a wide variety of job opportunities submitted to the College by local employers.

Student Development also sponsors an on-campus Job Fair every semester. Nearly fifty employers attend, offering students and alumni the opportunity to apply for a variety of positions with their companies. Contact Student Development for current dates or check a copy of the Unschedule, available in Student Development.

How can I create a good cover letter and resume?
Professionals in Student Development are available to assist you with your cover letter and resume. The NCCC website features a number of helpful resources regarding cover letters and resumes, in addition to many workshops offered on these and other employment topics throughout the semester. Contact Student Development for current dates or view Unschedule offerings at

What should I do during an interview?
Professionals in Student Development are available to assist you with your interview skills. You can set up a one-on-one appointment to do a mock interview and interview skills assessment or attend an Unschedule workshop on the subject. Copies of the Unschedule are available in Student Development.

What if I take a job and I hate it?
Don’t give up immediately. Give the job a chance. Sometimes we don’t like a job immediately because we don’t yet feel comfortable in the environment or because it seems there‘s too much to learn. Any job you take can help you to develop your transferrable skills – skills that will make you successful in any field! For example, people skills and organization skills are important in any job. Stay in the job for a while. No one says you can’t search for a new job while you do. Just be sure to give the employer two weeks' notice before leaving so you can add another reference to your network.

How will I know what job I want to do for the rest of my life?
Student Development has Career Planning professionals available who can guide you in making this decision. Sometimes taking a self-evaluation will open you to options you never considered, while at other times taking an entry-level job in a field you’re interested in can help you to narrow down your options. Remember: You don’t have to decide today! In today’s evolving marketplace, it is common for a person to change careers over a lifetime.

back to top

Veteran Services

How do I apply for my veterans benefits?
Refer to "NCCC's Admissions and GI Bill Checklists" on the Veteran Services web page or ask to speak to the Veterans Services Coordinator (A-131) for specific information.

When will I receive my GI Bill benefit payments?
Allow at least 8 weeks after your enrollment has been certified by the College for the first check to process. Generally, you can expect to receive a check by the end of the first month of school. Benefit checks are disbursed covering the prior month at the beginning of each new month during the enrollment period.

Why is my GI Bill check less than the monthly rate?
The most common reason a check may be less than the monthly rate is that the first and last check in an enrollment period are prorated based on the number of days in the month for which you are actually enrolled. Other reasons might include a deduction for an overpayment, or reduced training time after you received your award letter. If you have questions about your check amount, contact the Veterans Administration through the "Ask a Question" page on their website or call 1-888-442-4551.

Can I receive credit for military training?
Most veterans receive 2 Physical Education credits for completing basic training after submitting a DD214 to our Admissions Office for evaluation. It may also be possible to receive college credit for other military training. Transcripts from military or other colleges should be submitted to our Admissions Office immediately upon admission to NCCC.

For information about obtaining military transcripts:

back to top

Withdrawal/Exit Counseling

If I need to withdraw due to extenuating circumstances, will I still have to pay for the classes?
If you have circumstances, such as illness or a death in the family, you may file an appeal for bill cancellation. Supporting documentation is required. Check with the Cashier’s Office (A205) for details.

You are encouraged to speak to a counselor in Student Development (A131) to discuss alternatives to and ramifications of withdrawing from all classes.

back to top