The Academic Center for Excellence is a collaborative environment, which fosters critical thinking skills, creativity, and continual learning by providing student support services and academic guidance. The Academic Center for Excellence provides Academic Coaches, Student Support Staff, Student Tutoring, and Office of Information and Technology Support Staff.
Any current SUNY Niagara student, staff, or faculty member can use the Academic Center for Excellence. Students will need to sign in and out of the center using their SUNY Niagara T-Wolves email address.
- The Academic Center for Excellence is located on the Sanborn Campus within the Henrietta G. Lewis Library (D-201). The easiest way to find us is to enter the Learning Commons building, go up the main staircase (or take the elevator), and turn left. Here you should see the entrance to the Lewis Library, where ACE is located.
- The Academic Center for Excellence adheres to the hours set by the Lewis Library. For open hours, please click here.
- Faculty – As a first step, we ask that you consult with your instructor(s) during office hours. Our faculty are committed to your success and know what is best for you to succeed in class.
- Academic Coaches – If you would like individualized attention, you can make a one-on-one appointment with an academic coach on campus. To see what courses we offer tutoring in and to make an appointment, visit the ‘Make an Appointment’ tab and click on the ‘Make an Appointment’ button.
- Student Tutors – If you have a quick question, you can visit one of our student tutors within ACE. Be sure to check the ‘Hours’ tab for their availability. This is a walk-in service; no appointment is necessary.
- Student Support Staff – The Student Support Staff within the Academic Center for Excellence are available to provide academic guidance including answering student questions or redirecting students to appropriate resources on campus.
- STAR-NY Online Tutoring – Late evening tutoring hours are available through STAR-NY Online Tutoring (Sunday – Thursday from 7:00pm – midnight). For more information, please go to: starny.org/tutoring_schedule
Academic Coaches are professional tutors with an educational background in content-specific areas. Coaches are great resources for questions and concerns that require immediate attention. For a full list of our Academic Coaches, please see niagaracc.suny.edu/ace/staff
Academic coaches can help you:
- Brainstorm and develop ideas
- Build test-taking strategies
- Construct logical arguments
- Form an outline, thesis, topic sentences
- Make ideas flow smoothly
- Organize and sharpen ideas
- Overcome writer’s block and anxiety
- Practice essential skills
- Prepare for exams
- Reiterate proofreading strategies
- Review your work
- Understand course content
- Use textbooks, technology, and other resources
- All student tutoring services are located within the Academic Center for Excellence in D-201.
- Student tutors are available by appointment or on a walk-in basis for individualized tutoring sessions.
- Student tutors are current SUNY Niagara students that have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better and received a B or better in the course(s) they are tutoring.
- Student tutors are interviewed by our Academic Center for Excellence staff and recommended by faculty members on campus.
- Download the Penji app on your phone, or go to web.penjiapp.com. If it is your first time using Penji, click ‘Get Started” and create your account using your T-Wolves email and password. If you have already created your account, click “Already used Penji before? Sign back in.” to log in.
- Select either “Make a 30 min appointment” or “Make a 60 min appointment.”
- Select/Search for the course you would like tutoring in from the drop down menu.
- Select a start time* for your appointment.
- Select the tutor you would like to work with.
- Choose a modality (In-Person at ACE or Online via ZOOM).
- Confirm the details of your appointment and check your T-Wolves inbox to receive a confirmation email with the details of your appointment.
It is important to come fully prepared to your tutoring appointment. Please come prepared with any/all necessary materials, such as:
- Brightspace Login Information (to view course online)
- Class notes
- Class textbook
The Student Support Staff can provide academic guidance including answering student questions or redirecting students to appropriate resources on campus. If you have a question about anything campus related, visit the Student Support Staff in D-201!
- 1 Color Printer
- 2 Printers
- 53 Computers
- Dry Erase Board Supplies
- AAC Lab Textbooks
- Accounting Note Sheets and Template Worksheets
- Dictionaries/ Thesauri
- Microscope Materials
- Moveable Dry Erase Boards
- Science Textbooks
- Skeletal Structures
- Various Science Models
- Writing Lab Reference Materials