Zoom Etiquette for Students
- Set up a learning location that allows you to focus and engage while minimizing distractions.
- An appropriate location may be at a desk or table in a private or quiet room such as an office or bedroom.
- Be sure your chosen location to Zoom has minimal distractions
- Inappropriate locations are lying in bed or on a sofa, lying around with friends or others
- Use your real name, first and last as your Zoom ID
- Be present even if you choose to not use your camera and attend in dark mode. Your participation is still required
- If your camera is enabled or needs to be, look at what’s in the environment around you. Should your instructor/classmates be seeing what is in your surrounding area (Piles of dirty laundry, garbage is strewn about, etc.)?
- Clothing should be what you would wear to school. Shirts and pants are always necessary.
- Take care of your personal hygiene needs before entering the Zoom classroom (getting dressed, basic hygiene, eating, talking to others in your home)
Behavior – Similar to a regular classroom
- Log into the Zoom session on time
- Stay on mute if you’re not talking. Follow the same rules as the in-class code of conduct
- Avoid engaging in distracting behaviors (video games, cell phone use, using other devices, technology, TV, etc.)
- Stay on topic: avoid irrelevant links, comments, and pictures
- Chat Specific Behaviors:
- Chat conversations or comments should be on-topic and appropriate to the class.
- Anything put into the chat should be professional and appropriate for ALL attendees, including the teacher.
- If you ask a question in chat, expect to receive several answers from classmates as well as the instructor
- Avoid emoticons or text language
- Check spelling and grammar when appropriate
- If you haven’t received a response to a chat question, politely ask the professor, during a pause, if they’ve seen your question in the chat yet
- Actively participate in activities like polls, break-out rooms, etc.
- Respect the opinions of others
- Do not use profanity or inappropriate language
- No drinking alcohol, smoking, or vaping during class
- Remember to “sign out” or “leave the meeting” when the Zoom session is finished