Zoom Etiquette for Students
- Set up a learning location that allows you to focus and engage while minimizing distractions.
- An appropriate location may be at a desk or table in a private or quiet room such as an office or bedroom.
- Be sure your chosen location to Zoom has minimal distractions
- Inappropriate locations are lying in bed or on a sofa, lying around with friends or others
- Use your real name, first and last as your Zoom ID
- Be present even if you choose to not use your camera and attend in dark mode. Your participation is still required
- If your camera is enabled or needs to be, look at what’s in the environment around you. Should your instructor/classmates be seeing what is in your surrounding area (Piles of dirty laundry, garbage is strewn about, etc.)?
- Clothing should be what you would wear to school. Shirts and pants are always necessary.
- Take care of your personal hygiene needs before entering the Zoom classroom (getting dressed, basic hygiene, eating, talking to others in your home)
Behavior – Similar to a regular classroom
- Log into the Zoom session on time
- Stay on mute if you’re not talking. Follow the same rules as the in-class code of conduct
- Avoid engaging in distracting behaviors (video games, cell phone use, using other devices, technology, TV, etc.)
- Stay on topic: avoid irrelevant links, comments, and pictures
- Chat Specific Behaviors:
- Chat conversations or comments should be on-topic and appropriate to the class.
- Anything put into the chat should be professional and appropriate for ALL attendees, including the teacher.
- If you ask a question in chat, expect to receive several answers from classmates as well as the instructor
- Avoid emoticons or text language
- Check spelling and grammar when appropriate
- If you haven’t received a response to a chat question, politely ask the professor, during a pause, if they’ve seen your question in the chat yet
- Actively participate in activities like polls, break-out rooms, etc.
- Respect the opinions of others
- Do not use profanity or inappropriate language
- No drinking alcohol, smoking, or vaping during class
- Remember to “sign out” or “leave the meeting” when the Zoom session is finished
Zoom Audio and Recording Notice
If Zoom is used in this class it may be recorded for use by enrolled students, including those who are unable to attend live. Students who participate in any session with their camera engaged or utilize a profile image are consenting to have their video or image displayed/recorded. If you are unwilling to consent to have your profile or video image displayed/recorded, be sure to keep your camera off and do not use a profile image. Likewise, students who un-mute during class and participate orally are consenting to have their voices recorded. If you are not willing to consent to have your voice recorded during class, you will need to keep your mute button activated and communicate exclusively using the “chat” feature, which allows students to type questions and comments live.