NCCC’s English degree program provides students with a variety of literature and writing courses in anticipation of transfer to a four-year degree program. The English, A.A. program highlights a breadth and diversity of educational experiences in the humanities and liberal arts and serves as the first step for students in pursuit of advanced degrees in English or related fields.
NCCC’s English degree program prepares students for transfer to a four-year degree program and beyond. An English degree can lead to careers in business, communication and media arts, law, publishing, the teaching of English, public relations, and any career that requires excellent communication and writing skills. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in the analytical and critical thinking skills required of the 21st-century citizen.
Designed for transfer into a 4-year institution.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To prepare students for a career that values interpersonal communication, critical thinking, and editing skills.
- To prepare students for transfer into baccalaureate English curricula.
- Editor and Content Manager
- Grant Writer
- Public Relations Specialist
- Research Analyst
- Social Media Manager
- Technical Writer
Degree Program Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, the student will:
- Analyze texts from a number of genres
- Analyze texts from a variety of historical periods
- Incorporate appropriate secondary sources using MLA style into analyses of texts and in support of original arguments and analyses
- Produce effective critical and creative or journalistic writing in a variety of modes, employing a variety of theoretical approaches
- Read texts critically and with sensitivity to the historical or cultural conditions within which they are produced
What courses will I be taking?
- American Literature
- British Literature
- Children’s Literature
- Contemporary World Literature
- Creative Writing
- Film as Literature
- Professional Writing
- Science Fiction
Division Office: 716-614-6710 (E-238) and