Niagara County Community College and the State University of New York recognize the need or preference for students and employees to refer to themselves by a chosen name or a chosen gender identity. This is consistent with Title IX federal law which protects against discrimination based on gender identity and expression, and is currently recognized as a best practice for supporting transgender and gender non-conforming members of college communities. This service is not limited to use by transgender and gender non-conforming individuals, however, and is available to anyone who uses a chosen first name or gender identity.
Where a student or employee seeks to use a chosen name or gender identity, and such use is not intended for the purposes of avoiding legal obligations, in jest, or for misrepresentation, the College acknowledges that, where required, a chosen name or gender identity can be used in the course of College business and education. The College reserves the right to remove a chosen name if deemed inappropriate or if the legal name may need to be used for federal and state requirements.
A chosen name and gender identity in College systems is an ongoing process and requires resources that may not be readily available. Not all College information systems, databases, and processes may be able to display a chosen name or gender identity and many uses of an individual’s name require display of the legal name or of the individual’s sex as assigned at birth for federal and state requirements; therefore, individuals who utilize a chosen name or gender identity should always be prepared to reference their legal name and sex and provide corresponding identification when necessary.
The chosen name will be utilized in the student information system and classroom management systems where deemed appropriate by NCCC. The legal name will appear in all other records and documents.
The use of personal gender pronouns to self-designate one’s gender identity will be permitted in all college functions. All members of the College are expected to use another person’s chosen gender pronouns if they are known.
A chosen name will be permissible on a student’s diploma and/or certificate; however, some professional and licensing boards require use of legal name in the licensing process, so use of a chosen name may delay or complicate a certification or licensure process. In addition, some countries may require a diploma for various legal, immigration, or employment purposes.
- Only the first and/or middle name may be changed to a chosen name;
- Last/family name must remain the same as the full legal last name in the College records system;
- The chosen name may be used in some College communications and informational materials, except where the use of the legal name is required by College business or legal need. This may include but is not limited to financial, medical, and law enforcement documents; transcripts; W-4 forms; I-9 forms; 1098-T forms; payroll documents; Visa/immigration documents; employment applications and related documents; background check documents; insurance documents; and student conduct records;
- Chosen names are limited to alphabetical characters (a-z);
- Chosen name changes may be requested once per academic year;
- Employee or Student IDs will be reissued upon request once a name change is approved and processed by the College;
- No costs will be incurred by the student or employee for initiating a chosen name process;
- The College’s admissions applications and employment applications will be maintained with the following data elements in order to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations as well as adherence to gender non-conforming best practices:
- Sex Assigned at Birth – This will be a binary field allowing only male and female as choices; the College will use this response to fulfill its reporting obligations to state and federal agencies requiring binary sex;
- Gender Identity – This will allow various options, including X, as choices. The selection of X as the person’s gender identity will be recognized as the chosen gender identity of the individual in all applicable College processes.
- When selecting a chosen name, you will also have the option to choose a chosen pronoun and/or gender designation.
Once you have been accepted to the College, please complete the Chosen Name Change form. Requests will be reviewed and processed within three business days.
Advisement Questions – Matriculated Students (planning to earn a degree/certificate): 716-614-6290 | email@example.com | D-102
Advisement Questions – Non-Matriculated Students (not planning to earn a degree/certificate): 716-614-6427 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Records Questions: 716-614-6250 | email@example.com
Transferring Credits into NCCC and Transfer Credit Evaluation Questions: 716-614-6253 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: A-105 Notar Admin Bldg.
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
Evening hours are available daily from 4:00 – 5:oopm via ZOOM appointment only; please email a request to email@example.com.