Registration & Records



How do I change my name or address with NCCC?

You may request your mailing address to be updated by going to “Banner Web”, “Enter Secure Area”, “Personal Information”, “Address Update Request”.  Enter your new mailing address and click “Submit”.  Your updated address should be reflected in our system within 1-3 business days.  This process is for mailing addresses only.  Further information is required to update your legal address.

You may also click on the printable Personal Identification Change Form on the Registration & Records Office website and print this for mailing to the Registration & Records Office (A-201). You may also visit the Registration & Records Office (A-201) to complete the form in person. If your name has changed, you will be asked to provide legal documentation of the name change; e.g. driver’s license, marriage or divorce certificate, court action, etc.

How long does it take from the time my transfer transcript reaches NCCC until I am notified by mail?

The process may take 3-4 weeks. Therefore, please have your transcript sent as soon as possible after you have received grades at the college previously attended.

How do I know for which courses I have received transfer credit?

Once your official transcript has been received by the Admissions Office it is forwarded to the Registration and Records Office to be evaluated. Once your transcript has been evaluated, you will be notified by email as to what has been accepted. Transfer credits will appear on your transcript with a grade of “T”. The “T” carries no point value, therefore, it is not considered when calculating the semester, degree, or cumulative GPA. Transfer credits carry earned hours only.

Click here for more information about transfer credits and to view our equivalency guide.

How do I know when I am eligible to register for classes?

Login to Banner Web. Click on “Student and Financial Aid”“Registration”, “Registration Eligibility – NEW”.

How do I view course offerings for a particular semester?

You are able to view course offerings through Banner Web.

  • On the Banner Web home page, scroll down and select “Course Offerings”.
  • Choose the correct term for which you are interested in looking up classes.
  • Click “Submit”.
  • Highlight the subject category to search for classes (ACC=Accounting, BIO=Biology, etc.) and then click on “Class Search” at the bottom of your screen. This will then display all of the courses offered in the selected term for that particular subject.

How do I add or drop courses from my schedule?

Courses can be added or dropped on Banner Web until the end of the first week of classes. After that time, you are only permitted to DROP courses on Banner Web until the end of the third week of classes. If you want to ADD a course after the first week of classes, you must receive authorization from the division chair by having him/her sign the Add/Drop form. The Add/Drop form can be found in the Registration & Records Office (A-201) and on the Registration & Records Office website. View detailed instructions.

How do I get a copy of my schedule?

You can print your schedule using Banner Web. Once logged in, you click on “Student and Financial Aid”, then “Printable Student Schedule”. You can also obtain a copy in the Registration & Records Office (A-201).

How do I get an Enrollment Verification letter?

Current students can request an enrollment verification letter by going to “Banner Web”, enter the secure area, and click on “Student and Financial Aid”. Verifications are available 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week, 365-days-a-year via this website. You may also complete an enrollment verification request available in the Registration & Records Office (A-201) or complete our online request form.

How do I change my major?

You must fill out a change of major form through the Student Resource Center.  The application is also available on Banner Web under “Student Services & Financial Aid”.  Click on “Student Records” and select “Major Change Application”.  View more information about changing your major. You may also call 716-614-6290.

How do I apply for an Incomplete grade?

You can apply for an Incomplete (I) grade by filling out the Request for Incomplete Grade form available on our website or in the Registration & Records Office. This form requires the approval of the class instructor. You will be required to make arrangements with the instructor for completion of the coursework. The maximum time for the change of an I grade to a performance grade is determined by the instructor but shall not exceed one academic year. If a change of grade is NOT made by the instructor prior to the deadline, the I grade will automatically be converted to an F grade.

How do I receive an S/U or W grade?

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades are elected by filling out an S/U Grade Request form available on our website. If you wish to elect this, you must do so by the 13th week of the regular semester. Once this has been submitted to the Registration & Records Office, the decision is irreversible. The form must be initiated by the student and signed by both the instructor of the class and the student’s advisor. Withdrawals (W grades) are elected by filling out the Drop or Withdraw from a Course form available on our website or in the Registration & Records Office. This also must be completed by the 13th week of the regular semester. A “W” grade will not affect your grade-point average, but may negatively impact your academic standing and/or ability to receive financial aid.

How do I withdraw from the College (drop all my classes)?

To withdraw from the entire college, you must submit a Request for College Withdrawal Form.

Please refer to Important Dates for the College withdrawal deadline. Students are encouraged to check with the Financial Aid and Student Resource Center before withdrawing from the College.

How do I access my final grades?

Final grades are not mailed to students. You must access Banner Web to view your grades. Click “Enter Secure Area” and login to your account. Click on “Student and Financial Aid”, “Student Records”, “Final Grades”, select term, and click “Submit”. Your final grades for that semester will then be displayed.

How do I request an OFFICIAL transcript?

Official transcripts may be ordered securely online 24 hours/7 days a week using TranscriptsPlus. If you select the option to send the transcript electronically, it can be sent within minutes! You can also choose to have the transcript mailed to any location, including a FedEx overnight option. Additionally, you may sign up for text/email notifications that allow you to track your transcript order.

Please click the TranscriptsPlus logo below to enter your order. You will need to provide your Social Security Number, telephone number, payment method in addition to other information requested on the transcript order form. Remember: a transcript will not be processed if there are any holds on the record (i.e. Cashier’s, Bookstore, Library, Athletic, etc). Support for online ordering is available at 1-800-646-1858.

Once you have placed your order online, your official transcript will be processed on the next business day. Transcript records prior to Fall 1985 may take 3-5 days to process. The transcript fee charged by Niagara County Community College is $10.00 per OFFICIAL transcript.

Log in to Banner Web to order if you know your ID and PIN. Click on Student and Financial Aid, Student Records, Order Official Transcript.


Click the TranscriptsPlus logo below.


How do I apply for graduation?

All students planning to graduate must apply for graduation.  Log into Banner Web.  Click on “Student and Financial Aid”, “Student Records”, and “Graduation Application – Submit” to apply. This should be done during your last semester of enrollment. Filing deadlines are published throughout the campus. Failure to file by deadline will result in the delay of your diploma and/or certificate and award of your graduation.

How do I check to see if I’ve met graduation requirements?

You can run a degree evaluation to determine if you have met program requirements. Click here to begin. You must have an activated T-Wolves email account to access this function. If you notice any discrepancies, contact your advisor.

How do I prevent the release of my directory information?

Certain directory information may be released without the student’s permission. Niagara County Community College has defined directory information to include: the student’s name, address (including email), telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, photograph, weight, and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees, and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. The release of this information allows us to verify enrollment for purposes of health insurance, job applications, promotions, etc. However, you may prevent the release of such information by completing the Request for Non-Disclosure form. Please be aware that this may have a negative impact on enrollment verifications, employer inquiries, promotions, etc.

How do I release information to a parent or guardian?

Since all academic information is available online through Banner Web, you can choose to allow a parent/guardian to view your information online. You may also choose to allow access to personally identifiable information to an outside party (such as a parent or guardian) by granting proxy access to your records. View the Proxy Instructions.

How do I purchase my textbooks?

You may purchase your textbooks on campus at our Bookstore (Barnes & Noble) located in G-109. You may determine what textbooks are required for your classes on Banner Web. There links to the bookstore’s website in the following areas (of Banner Web): “Student and Financial Aid” menu, “Look-Up Classes” page (search course offerings), within the CRN of the individual course listing, add/drop classes screen, and under the Printer Friendly schedule. Textbooks’ titles and prices are indicated with options to purchase.


Records Questions: 716-614-6250 |
Registration Questions: 716-614-6884 |
Transfer Credit Evaluation Questions: 716-614-6253 |
Fax: 716-614-6821
Location: A-201 Notar Admin Bldg.
Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Evening hours are available via ZOOM by appointment only on Tuesdays between 4-6pm; please email a request to