Skip to main content

© 2019 Niagara County Community College | All rights reserved.

Student Success Center

Major Change FAQs

Are all of major change requirements the same?

Each particular major has it own unique entrance requirements. In order to ensure that you are taking the correct requirements for your intended major, you should refer to the current NCCC college catalog and/or talk to your advisor. You can also make an appointment to speak to a counselor in Student Success Center (D-102).

How can I get more information about the major change process?

  • Make an appointment with a counselor in Student Success Center (D-102).
  • Make sure that your academic advisor knows your intended plans and preferred major so that s/he can keep you informed of any updates regarding the major change process or your intended program.

If I am on a waitlist, what should I be doing?

Students must be enrolled in classes for each semester (not including summer and winter sessions) that they are on the waitlist. In order to know what you should be doing for your particular program, refer to NCCC’s College catalog.

If I do not stay enrolled or I do not earn the required cumulative GPA, will I be removed from the waitlist?

Yes. Waitlists are reviewed at the beginning and end of each semester to ensure that all students have continuous enrollment and continue to meet all entrance requirements for the specified major.

What does it mean to be on a major change waitlist?

Students who have met the prerequisites for a particular program are put on a waitlist. In order to remain on this list, students must continue to adhere to the prerequisite standards for their program of interest. Student Success Center uses this list when placing students into the program as seats become available.

What happens if there are changes in the program requirements prior to my entry into the major of your choice?

If there are any changes regarding the major change process or program requirements after you have submitted a major change application you will be notified by Student Success Center. It is important to insure that your contact information in BANNER is accurate so that college officials can contact you.

What is a change of major?

A change of major is a procedure that officially changes your course of study. Students who want to change their major must contact Student Success Center in D-102 (614-6290) and complete a change of major application, with the exception of LPN/RN. The application is also available on Banner Web under the Student Services and Financial Aid tab. Click on Student Records and select Major Change Application.

What is the difference between the admission requirements and change of major requirements?

Admissions requirements and major change requirements both outline prerequisite coursework for specific majors. Admissions requirements apply to new students not currently attending NCCC and major change requirements apply to continuing students at the College who want to change their major.

Who can I speak to if I have more questions?

Your academic advisor and Student Success Center department are two excellent resources to answer major change questions.


Phone: 716-614-6290
Fax: 716-614-6814
Location: D-102