Once enrolled in the Massage Therapy program students will develop a keen understanding of the benefits of massage therapy. They will learn that massage therapy has many benefits including increasing the circulation of blood and lymph, relaxation of muscles, and decreasing pain while increasing range of motion. They will begin to appreciate the important role a Massage Therapist can play in the comprehensive healthcare of their client. The student will be introduced to various forms and styles of massage including relaxation massage, prenatal massage, sports massage, oriental massage(Shiatsu), etc.. They will gain experience in the hands-on treatment of clients in our Student Clinic. In the Student Clinic the student will learn how to interact with a client in a professional manner, formulate a treatment plan, and take thorough notes. Upon graduation the student is eligible to sit for the New York State licensing exam. Once the graduate is licensed he or she has a variety of employment options including: self employment, medical offices, chiropractic offices, hospitals, cruise ships, salons, gyms. The opportunities are tremendous.
- 100% pass rate for the NYS Board Exam for 2018 and 2019.
- Job placement program to help you start your career right after graduation.
- Our massage program consists of in-depth training in Western and Eastern massage modalities, as well as business and science courses to complete your skillset for a fulfilling career.
- Student clinic that provides real world training.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To give students an opportunity to develop skills in both Eastern and Western (Shiatsu) massage.
- To prepare students for licensure in massage therapy.
- To prepare students for the various employment opportunities after licensure.
- To provide students an opportunity to work in a Student Clinic.
Cassandra Schumacher ‘20
I love how hands-on the Massage Therapy program is. The onsite lab and smaller class sizes allow for a ton of hands-on practice and contact time with professors to make sure we’re performing techniques properly and learning best practices. It’s a game changer. Niagara County Community College offers scholarship opportunities that other massage programs can’t compete with. This program offered me a great learning experience at a price I could afford. My goal from the start has been entrepreneurship, and I’m excited for the flexibility and freedom that comes with this profession and this option!
Data from the NYS Department of Labor predicts that New York will need approximately 15,560 new healthcare practitioners and healthcare technicians per year to meet the needs of the state’s health care system.
*Data taken from NYS Occupational Handbook
The assessment of student learning outcomes is not only a key indicator of program effectiveness, it is also one of the standards of excellence identified by the Middle States Commission (Standard 5) and is required through the SUNY assessment initiative.
View Learning Outcomes.