The Surgical Technologist (ST) is a highly respected, vital professional in contemporary health care. As a qualified surgical technologist, the NCCC Surgical Technology graduate will become credentialed as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) and find employment in many aspects of healthcare. The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredits the NCCC Surgical Technology degree program and graduates earn an AAS degree in Surgical Technology. The NCCC Surgical Technology program is one full-time pre-requisite semester and three full-time Surgical Technology core course semesters and combines classroom and off-campus clinical experiences at hospitals in Niagara and Erie counties.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Demonstrate and integrate the principles of asepsis into practice to protect the patient, self, and surgical team members in the perioperative stages.
- Gain knowledge to successful be credentialed and employed as a Certified Surgical Technologist.
- Perform as a competent entry-level surgical technologist in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains.
- Provide students the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to function safely and efficiently in the clinical setting.
Emily Runions ’07
“Choosing NCCC was an easy decision for me. I love the hands on experience the Niagara County Community College (NCCC) Surgical Technology program offers their students. Students are encouraged to perform beyond their expectations, which makes graduates really successful.
“I have been working in the Operating Room and Labor and Delivery department since I graduated, and knew what the expectations of the profession and how to elevate it. Also, I am an adjunct Surgical Technology Program instructor since 2009! If you are considering the Surgical Technology program, be prepared to work really hard, but at the same time have fun and experience so many new things.”
The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (http://www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the ARC/STSA, 6 W. Dry Creek Circle, Suite #110, Littleton, CO 80120, 1-303-694-9262, http://www.arcstsa.org.
Graduates of 2018 Surgical Technology Outcomes
- CST Examination Pass Rate Percentage 87%
Graduates of 2019 Surgical Technology Outcomes
- Employment Graduate Placement 84%