- Open Starfish and navigate to your Students tab.
- Within the Students tab, select the Attendance sub-tab.
- If you have never utilized the Attendance feature before, you first want to set up your Class Schedule to allow for easier attendance tracking.
- On the right side of the screen, you can filter your student lists according to several different criteria.
- Always filter for the current term and select the course for which you wish to set up a schedule.
- Select the Class Schedule button and update the meeting days/times of your class.
- If the class meets at different times on different days, simply use the Add Schedule button to add additional day/time information. Be sure to click Submit once you are finished.
To record attendance, use the same filter tool to select the relevant course.
- Track student attendance by clicking Record Attendance.
- Select a course from the drop-down menu provided and then choose the applicable day/time from the drop down menu presented. This will pull up a list of the students in your class.
- Easily record attendance for all students by adjusting which attendance status is checked. The default setting will be set to “Present” for easier recording. Simply make any changes you need to by marking specific students as “Absent,” “Excused,” or “Late.” The option you choose will depend upon your own preferences and attendance policies for your course.
- Click Submit when you are finished.
- If you need to go back and edit the attendance status of a student(s) for a particular class, simply follow the same steps as recording a new day, but select a day in the past you have already recorded attendance on. Once the report opens, click on the edit link in the middle of the screen, make your changes and re-submit.
- If you need to cancel a class meeting time, simply open your report as if you are taking attendance and then click on the “Cancel Meeting Time” link at the top right of your screen next to the date.
To download your attendance report, click on the “Attendance Report” button (located above your class Attendance Roster).
Open the Excel file that downloaded to your PC. If you cannot find the file, try looking in the Downloads folder of your PC.
- E-mail the Excel file as an attachment and send to your designated Academic Division contact.
For a customizable, data table summary for the number of classes each student has been absent for, easily take the report you just downloaded and follow these six steps.
- Once Excel opens, click on the “Enable Editing” button
at the top of the screen if one exists. If not, move to step 2.
- Click on the “Student Attendance” Sheet at the bottom left.
- Click on the Insert Tab at the top of the screen in the Ribbon.
- Select Pivot Table button on the far left.
- Click on “OK” in the dialog box that opens up.
- Select Your Items on the right:
- Click and Drag “Student Name” to “Rows”
- Click and Drag “Attendance Status” to “Columns”
- Click and Drag “Attendance Status” to “Values”