Skip to main content
A community college sponsored by Niagara County

© 2019 SUNY Niagara | All rights reserved.

Records Office


S/U Grades

Considerations you should make prior to electing S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) grading:

  • A student may want GPA-impacting course grades in order to be competitive for transfer school admissions (and other purposes external to the program);
  • A student may need GPA-impacting course grades in order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress;
  • A student may need GPA-impacting course grades in order to meet the institutional GPA requirement for graduation;
  • For the transfer to non-SUNY institutions, students should consult their intended receiving campus to understand how Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory courses would be received in the transfer.  Consultation with the receiving campus should allow the student to make an informed decision about Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory options.

You may elect to take a course with a grade of Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U). Access the online request form.   However, in addition to your signature, the electronic signatures of your instructor and your advisor are required. You must file a S/U form with the Enrollment Center through the 13th week of a Fall or Spring (16-week) semester, or before 85% completion of modular classes, Summer classes, or classes offered during the winter intersession.

You should discuss the ramifications of this decision to elect a S/U with your advisor and instructor. In addition, if you are planning to transfer to another college, you should be aware that a S/U grade may not be accepted. Please check with your transfer college on its requirements. Note: once this form has been filed, the decision is irreversible.

A grade of S will indicate satisfactory completion of the course and will receive credit. However, no credit is given for a remedial course. A grade of U will indicate unsatisfactory completion of the course and will receive no credit. Neither an S grade nor a U grade will affect your grade point average. Some courses are graded only on the S/U grading system. In this case, the instructor will notify you that this is the only grading system for the course and you do not have to file a S/U form.

If you are enrolled in an associate degree program, a maximum of 16 credit hours may be taken S/U. If you are in a certificate program, the maximum is 8 credit hours. It is recommended that these credit hours be taken outside your major area of study.


Advisement Questions: 716-614-6290 | | D-102

Records Questions: 716-614-6250 | | A-105
Transferring Credits into SUNY Niagara and Transfer Credit Evaluation Questions:  716-614-6250 |


Fax: 716-614-6820
Location: A-105 Notar Admin Bldg.
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
Evening hours are available daily from 4:00 – 5:oopm via ZOOM appointment only; please email a request to